The Science-Policy Interface
The UNCCD Science-Policy Interface (SPI) was established in 2013 to promote dialog between scientists and policy-makers on desertification, land degradation and drought (DLDD). The SPI works to deliver information, knowledge and advice on DLDD needed to develop policies measures that ensure maintenance and enhancement of land resources and ecosystem services that flow from them.
Among the SPI members are globally renowned DLDD and political scientists. Engaging a broad range of scientific mechanisms and leveraging synergies with other scientific panels, the SPI identifies knowledge needs, selects means for addressing them and delivers results to policy-makers.
The SPI packages its findings into informative and concise products. Among latest SPI publications available on the Knowledge Hub are two science-policy briefs: “Pivotal Soil Carbon” and “Land in Balance,” as well as a new report, the "Scientific Conceptual Framework for Land Degradation Neutrality."
Who and what the SPI is:
What the SPI does:
- Scientific Conceptual Framework for Land Degradation Neutrality
- Land in Balance science-policy brief
- Pivotal Soil Carbon science-policy brief
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/3 – Refinement of the UNCCD monitoring and evaluation framework in the post-2015 sustainable development agenda: strategic objectives 1, 2 and 3
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/INF.1 – Monitoring the contribution of sustainable land use and management to climate change adaptation/mitigation and to the safeguarding of biodiversity and ecosystem services
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/2 – Outcomes and policy-oriented recommendations from the UNCCD 3rd Scientific Conference
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/4 – Improving the efficiency of the Committee on Science and Technology, including impacts from the previous conferences and recommendations for future institutional arrangements
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/INF.2 – Assessment of the impacts of the outcomes of the UNCCD 1st and 2nd Scientific Conferences in supporting the UNCCD decision-making process
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/6 – Science-Policy Interface: progress report and work programme 2016–2017
- ICCD/COP(12)/CST/INF.4 – Information on the collaboration between the Science-Policy Interface and the Intergovernmental Technical Panel on Soils
- SPI meeting reports
- SPI-related COP decisions: