1st Scientific Conference
The UNCCD 1st scientific conference was held during the ninth session of the Committee on Science and Technology (CST) from 22 to 24 September 2009 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on the theme “Bio-physical and Socio-economic Monitoring and Assessment of Desertification and Land Degradation to Support Decision Making in Land and Water Management”.
The conference was organized by the Dryland Science for Development (DSD) consortium in consultation with the Bureau of the CST. It brought together about 350 participants, including leading scientists from around the world to discuss the following specific topics:
- Integrated methods for monitoring and assessment of desertification/land degradation processes and drivers;
- Monitoring and assessment of sustainable land management; and
- Monitoring and assessment of desertification and land degradation: knowledge management, institutions and economics.
- White paper “Monitoring and assessment of desertification and land degradation: knowledge management, institutions and economics”
- Proceedings of the UNCCD First Scientific Conference: Understanding Desertification and Land Degradation Trends
- Report of the UNCCD 1st Scientific Conference
- UNCCD 1st Scientific Conference: Synthesis and recommendations
- Land Degradation & Development: Special Issue on Understanding Land Degradation Trends
- Science Brief: Enhancing Synergies among the Rio Conventions on Land Use and Sustainable Land Management
Related COP Decisions