Agricultural Officer (Plant Production)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through its Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems for better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) leads FAO's support to countries in the region in transforming their agrifood systems to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It identifies regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development and ensures the planning and implementation of FAO's strategic response in the region through a multidisciplinary approach. It implements approved programmes and projects, monitors programme implementation, and ensures that they contribute to addressing regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Strategic Framework and Programme of Work and Budget.
The post is located in the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa (RNE) in Cairo, Egypt.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Members’ countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials and on-line tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue, and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Advanced university degree in agronomy, agriculture, crop production, plant sciences or related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in crop production, preferably including field experience on main crops of the region.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another official language of the Organization: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in agronomy and plant sciences, including innovative approaches to sustainable agricultural production.
• Extent and relevance of experience in working in multidisciplinary team and formulation, implementation and reporting on projects, programmes and studies.
• Extent of experience in providing policy advice at local, national, and regional levels.
• Extent of knowledge in international instruments related to sustainable plant production.
• Ability to organize and conduct technical meetings, conferences and workshops and manage technical networks.
• Extent of knowledge of cooperation with international organizations and national governments.
• Experience in private sector is considered an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources.
• Working knowledge (proficient – Level C) of Arabic and/or French is considered an asset