Associate Professional Officer (Innovation and Digital Agriculture)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO’s Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Office of the Chief Innovation (OIN) has been recently established as an important instrument within FAO to provide strategic direction and help drive and coordinate innovation across the work of the Organization, i.e. to consolidate and strengthen FAO’s innovative spirit, including innovation of approach and cooperation models and capacity development. The Office ensures that FAO mainstreams innovation in its programmes; facilitates cross-collaboration between the various FAO units; and aids in forging and reinforcing transformative partnerships.
The post is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy and is funded by Finland.
• Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
• Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
• Updates databases and web pages;
• Participates on multi-disciplinary project/work teams;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc;
• Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• This position is for citizens of Finland only
• Maximum 32 years of age by the end of the application year
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural innovation, innovation management, technology for development, development and public administration, social science, computer science, or a related field
• Three years of relevant experience in agriculture, biodiversity, project management, innovation management or related area
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of food and agriculture, fisheries, forestry, rural development, digital technologies and innovation
• Extent and relevance of experience in project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation
• Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops
• Extent and relevance of experience in developing training tools and information materials