Climate Change and SDG Financing
The consultant will work in the International Development Programme of the Division of Programmes of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU). In performing her/his duties, the consultant will report to the Programme Manager for International Development. The position will focus on IPU’s climate change activities as well as on SDG implementation with a focus on financing, development cooperation and resource mobilization.
Within delegated authority, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Develop strategies to promote action on climate change and support capacity building in parliaments to implement the Paris Agreement.
- In cooperation with UNEP, UNFCCC and targeted parliaments, organize and implement the various activities to strengthen parliamentary capacities and engagement in climate change.
- Support the programme’s work on SDG financing.
- Ensure continued implementation of the MOUs signed with UNEP and UNFCCC respectively.
- Ensure regular exchanges and strengthen cooperation with UNDRR, Adaptation at Altitude partnership, and other partners.
- Explore opportunities to fund IPU’s climate change activities.
- Monitor project expenditures within approved funding and keep administrative records in respect of project activities.
- Draft activity reports for submission to donors and IPU governing bodies.
- Provide material on project activities and results for publication on the IPU website and in other media.
- Organize seminars/webinars and other types of meetings with parliamentary audiences.
- Provide, as requested, other assistance in areas relevant to IPU’s work on international development.
- University degree in political science, law, international relations, or related fields.
- Good knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- At least 3 years of proven experience in managing projects in an international environment. Demonstrated ability to achieve expected results and outcomes.
- Demonstrated awareness about key global climate change and financing concepts and their place in international development/SDGs.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Excellent reading, writing and speaking skills in English and a working knowledge of French.
- Work experience with projects involving parliamentarians is a distinct advantage.