Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The incumbent will work in the FAO field office Damaturu, Yobe state in Nigeria and will be expected to support the implementation of FAO Nigeria emergency programme in the northeast and the overall country programming framework.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance/recommendations and support the development, implementation and mainstreaming of Climate Smart Agriculture technologies across all FAO areas of intervention including crops, livestock, aquaculture, forestry and irrigation.
- Support liaison with FAO Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) technical officers at the Sub Regional, RAF and HQ, and other CSA practitioners in the country and region to draw good practices and knowledge to inform programming.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts by contributing to concept note writing and providing relevant assessments and evidence based field data in the area of responsibility.
- Support development of Letters of Agreement for implementation of project activities in the area of responsibility and monitor implementation including timely reporting
- In collaboration with the communications team, lead the engagement of stakeholders in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States for operationalisation and wide use of the CSA profiles, CSA Investment Plans and the Cost and Benefit Analysis
- Work closely with the Energy Expert to conclude the development of the CSA Investment Plans and the Cost and Benefit analysis.
- Support the strengthening of partnership and linkages with public and private institutions that generate relevant information and technologies that support CSA including the NiMET
- Support the preparation of quality and timely briefs and reports on FAO programme response in the area of responsibility for internal and external use for clearance by the Head of Office
- Be part of the team at the FAO Damaturu Field Office to support delivery of all programme activities in Yobe State and entire northeast when required.
- Liaise with M&E team and implementing partners to conduct relevant assessments to gather feedback and comments to support programme reviews and improve delivery.
- Contribute to interim and terminal project reporting by providing field data and lessons gathered from the fields during project implementation
- Post graduate degree with at least 5 years of experience or Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences or related filed
- with 7 years of experience. Additional qualifications and experience in climate smart agriculture, natural resource management, irrigation will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of English
- Nationality of Nigeria.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and with deep understanding of climate smart agriculture concepts and programming
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas.
- Familiarity and proven experience in project management and development
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent computer skills, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines;
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development, Poverty Eradication and social protection
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector and civil society;
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria