Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is a regional Not for Profit development organization with over 10 years of experience in delivering agricultural development and resilience-building interventions focused on value chain development in the ASAL and other counties of Kenya. The NGO is concerned with the promotion of sustainable agricultural practices to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty by implementing innovative, enterprising and sustainable interventions that contribute to mainstreaming good agricultural practices and market-oriented approaches, generating and diversifying household incomes among smallholder farmers and enterprising youth & women enterprises, thereby contributing to the long-term agenda of ensuring a food secure and a healthy nation.
The Field officer will:
- Work with the project manager, consultants, and collaborator in developing and/or establishing workable agricultural extension systems and supporting protocol development for agricultural products.
- Assist the Project Manager in the mobilization of smallholder’s farmers and farmer producer groups/VBAs to participate in the project initiatives/activities.
- Assist the Project Manager in the formation/strengthening of farmer producer groups through training and mentorship on group management, leadership, planning, etc
- Assist the Project Manager in selection of lead farmers and establishment of farmer field schools as learning centers for farmers and Conduct frequent follow up visits to groups.
- Assist the Project Manager in coordinating training for VBAs and farmers on Good Agricultural Practices, Climate Smart Agriculture, Post-Harvest management among others in his duty station.
- Sensitize and disseminate information to farmer producer groups on available credit products from the financial service providers around.
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement in his/her county (Maralal/ Laikipia/Isiolo) and participate in sub county stakeholder meetings.
- Assist the Project Manager in planning, Budgeting, and implementation of project activities in his/her county (Maralal/ Laikipia/Isiolo)
- Responsible for agricultural baseline data collection using digital platforms, managing, analyzing, compiling, reporting and sharing the data with the team leader.
- Support establishment of grassroots level demonstration plots, farmers’ value chain initiatives and agri-business.
- Plan and deliver training in the areas of good agronomic practices, good extension practices, and procedures applied.
- Work with local communities and with different teams and deliver training in the areas of good agronomic practices, good extension practices, and procedures applied.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
- The ideal and successful candidate should meet the following profile:
- At least a first degree or diploma from an accredited university/college preferably in agriculture, agronomy (best agronomic practices), extension systems (best extension practices), or Environmental Sciences.
- Proven experience in developing and/or establishing workable agricultural extension systems, and supporting protocol development for agricultural products.
- Proven experience in assisting instrument baseline agricultural data collection with different digital tools, data management, analysis and compilation reporting, and communication.
- Good organizational arrangements, supporting the establishment of grassroots level demonstration plots, agri-business organizational arrangements that enhance food productivity, quality, and marketing.
- Experience in best agronomic and extension communication practices, and value chain, marketing.
- Strong aptitude for using MS Office Suite, in particular, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to work in remote areas with local communities and team environments.
- Capacity to plan and deliver training in the areas of good agronomic practices, good extension practices, and procedures applied.
- Detail-oriented designing, management, and analytical skills of agricultural data from the field.