MOOC - Ecosystem Services: a Method for Sustainable Development
University of Geneva
Free of charge
This MOOC will cover scientific (technical), economic, and socio-political dimensions of the concept through a mix of theory, case-studies, interviews with specialists and a serious-game.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the concept of ecosystem services, its principles and limitations;
- Understand the key services associated with any ressource (e.g., fresh water) through readings and case-studies;
- Appreciate the advantages and potential risks of monetising ecosystem services;
- Appreciate the social dimensions (power issues, cultural biases) embedded within any method;
- Integrate tactical advice on mainstreaming this approach into policy and standard government practices;
- Optional: learn how to map ecosystem services with GIS tools.