National Professional Officer (Health & Environment)
World Health Organization (WHO)
Work & Volunteer
The objective of the programme is to reduce risks to human health associated with climate change effects and undesired environmental situations associated with poor WASH , air pollution (both ambient and indoor), chemical safety and food safety by strengthening the responses of the relevant sector's in these areas.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide technical support in the area of Protection of the Human Environment of the Office.
- Provide technical support to government to implement national strategies and policies to promote key objectives and targets in the identification and management of environmental risk factors to human health.
- Undertake situation analysis and needs assessment for addressing health and environment challenges and linkages to ensure adequate technical and strategic support the country in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of joint national action plans.
- Monitor country specific developments in respect to the assigned programmatic areas covered, and conduct reporting to the regional office/ Headquarters so that these findings can be analyzed for strategy development purposes.
- Develop and propose national strategies and policies for implementation through collaboration with national authorities and recommend initiatives in the areas of environmental health to implement multilateral environmental agreements.
- Undertake research on impact of the Libreville Declaration and on various topics including risk factor assessment and management.
- Plan and organize programs for capacity building on Environmental health initiatives and other the related cross cutting areas.
- Serve as a technical resource to the public concerning health and environment linkages to prevent diseases and to create health supportive environments. Respond to inquiries from the media, national or other institutions, and provide detailed and technical information concerning related principles, practices, issues, measures, techniques and procedures.
- Conduct a variety of community outreach activities concerning the extension of community-based networks for improved health environment targeted towards preventing diseases.
- Liaise with national counterparts, technical departments at HQ, donors, and development partners (UN and bilateral institutions) to harmonize recommendations on policies and strategies related to the programme and resolve issues or concerns and seek funding for new projects and initiatives.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: University degree in environmental or public health engineering, environmental science or a closely related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Advance university degree in environmental or public health.
- Essential: At least five (5) years of experience in environmental health, climate change and WASH, including practical experience in environmental health risk assessment and climate resilient public health plans, implementation and monitoring. Experience in project management and capacity development.
- Desirable: Experience in working for UN agencies or international organizations