National Project Coordinator
EU4Climate Project helps governments in the six EU Eastern Partnership countries - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine - to take action against climate change. It supports countries in implementing the Paris Climate Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation. Its ambition is to limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it. EU4Climate is funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The objective of the project is to support the development and implementation of climate-related policies by the Eastern Partnership countries that contribute to their low emission and climate resilient development and their commitments to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It identifies key actions and results in line with the Paris Agreement, the "20 Deliverables for 2020”, and the key global policy goals set by the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The project will also translate into action priorities outlined in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Declaration on Environment and Climate Change of October 2016. The project will be implemented in 2019-2022.
The following results will be achieved: (i) Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), (ii) Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments, (iii) Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements, (iv) Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners, especially in the field of energy (v) Advanced alignment with EU acquis as provided by bilateral agreements with EU and in the context of the Energy Community Treaty, (vi) Increased mobilization of climate finance, and (vii) Enhanced adaptation planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main purpose of this assignment is to provide day to day oversight and technical input for the timely implementation of the technical tasks and project activities under the national component of the EU4Climate Regional Project.
- Briefly describe the required activities (scope, location, subjects, etc.) and other information that will help prospective Contractors understand the nature of the work
- If applicable, include any relevant literature/data/information/policy framework that may be required for each activity.
The National Project Coordinator under the EU4Climate Regional Project will be responsible for overseeing on a day to day basis the sound and timely implementation of all technical tasks of the project at the national level.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in energy efficiency, construction, environment, climate change, Public Administration, Management or other relevant areas.
- 2 years of relevant work experience in managing complex projects, in strategic planning, staffing, implementation, reporting and monitoring at the national or international level.
- Experience in either Climate Change adaptation or mitigation.
- Experience in working with/for the Government organizations in Azerbaijan.
- Experience working with UN Agencies/UNDP and/or other international organizations.
- Experience working with the projects funded by major international environmental donor organizations, including but not limited to the GEF and GCF.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Fluency in written and oral English, Azerbaijani.
- Knowledge of Russian would be an asset.
- Include any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions
- Both local and international travels are expected.