National Project Manager - Urban Resilience
In 2020, UN-Habitat is launching the multi-country project “Building urban climate resilience in south-eastern Africa.” The project will strengthen urban climate resilience by working with various levels of government and stakeholders and ensuring strong participation, in particular, of the most marginalized and vulnerable groups, in all its phases – from conception to evaluation. The main activities will take place in Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique and the Union of Comoros – all located in a region highly vulnerable to common transboundary extreme climate-related events.
The National Project Manager (NPM) will be part of the Project Supervision Team (PST), and will work under the overall supervision of the Senior Human Settlements Officer, Focal Point for Climate Change, Risk Reduction and Resilience within the UN-Habitat Regional Office for Africa, and under the direct oversight of the Project Manager (PM).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the NPCT in preparing its annual work plans for project implementation at the country level, for review of the PM, which will then have to be submitted to the PSC for endorsement at least two weeks prior the annual PSC meeting;
- Support the PM in drafting terms of reference for national or international consultancies to provide specific/punctual technical assistance and training & capacity building to facilitate project implementation, as needed;
- Supervise the work of the different National Executing Entities at the country level, as per the signed contractual agreements with UN-Habitat, concerning project Components 1 and 2 ensure quality control of all outputs being produced at the national/local level;
- Monitor the progress of all project activities at the national/local level, as per the requirements of the Environmental and Social Management Plan of the project, and provide timely advice and/or support to overcome any difficulties, including proposing strategies to recover from eventual delays in implementation;
- Represent the UN-Habitat PST at the country level, hence ensuring the regular liaison with the concerned national/municipal governments, as well as coordination with other interested national/local partners/stakeholders, the United Nations, development partners, potential donors, and the academic sector, among others;
- Prepare the 6-month progress reports at the country level to be submitted to the PM for review and integration in the overall 6-month project reports;
- Liaise by email, Skype or phone with the PM on a regular/weekly basis for updating on project progress and request for guidance, as needed.