Programme Coordination Assistant
Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating centres of excellence.
- Under the direct supervision of the dashboard coordinator the UNV is responsible for the following duties:
- Provide administrative and meeting support to the corporate dashboard coordination functions.
- Coordinate with systems team in maintaining and improving database for programme performance tracking.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret on a regular basis data related to the implementation of the programmes to support monitoring and reporting of higher-level results.
- Monitor and analyze specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation and follow-up with project teams on their reporting requirements as necessary.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of the project portfolio databases, including status of project development and approvals, revisions, evaluations, and closures.
- Assist in analyzing and visualizing project data, including the mapping of project presence, and maintain the Intranet and programmatic websites.
- Undertake research on current and emerging trends and prepare analytical summaries that can support strategic planning, implementation and communication of UNEP’s Medium-Term Strategy and the biennial Programmes of Work.
- Provide flexible and ad hoc support the programme coordinators in various duties, as and when required.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- 3 years of experience in communication, data collection, data base management and data visualization, and Excel is essential.
- Good writing skills and knowledge of administrative processes, statistics, project cycle management and results-based management is an asset.
- Experience in programme/project management and implementation at all phases of the programme/project development cycle.
- Ability to understand and analyze information and derive relevant findings; understanding of the science underpinning a broad range of Environmental issues and their possible policy implications; familiarity with data and indicators, outreach and communication are an advantage
- Ability to identify client needs, and work with them to develop programme solutions and meet timelines for service and product delivery.
- Ability to work collaboratively and operate effectively within the organization and with partners in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic Environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Sound security and public health awareness; Have affinity with or interest in UNEP’s work, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a team and deliver on time.
- Computer skills: MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint (required)
- English, Level: Fluent, Required
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Project Management, Public Administration, Communications or equivalent experience. An advanced university degree is desired.