Senior Agriculture Specialist
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
The Agriculture and Food team in the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) Region (SCAAG) is organized under the umbrella of ECA Sustainable Development that also incorporates water, environment, social, urban, disaster resilience and land teams. The unit’s work program covers seven Country Management Units that comprise the ECA Region and is led by a Practice Manager. The team consists of 23 staff (11 of whom are based in Country Offices). The focus of the team’s work going forward is on the future of agri-food systems, including inclusiveness, diversification of economies, jobs, agricultural competitiveness and linking farmers to markets, leveraging the private sector, climate-smart agriculture, digital agriculture, financial innovation, resilience, post-COVID recovery, and fragility and conflict.
The Senior Agriculture Economist/Specialist will have broad knowledge in the agriculture sector and policies. In addition to meeting the Bank-wide requirements for Grade GG Level position, it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
• A dynamic, interdependent and highly organized professional with enthusiasm to further expand/deepen his/her knowledge in the above areas of responsibility and beyond, and an ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, multi-sectoral and multi-cultural environment;
• At least 8 years of work experience in agriculture and rural development in Ukraine for a candidate with an MSc, MBA or Ph.D. in Agricultural Sciences, Policy, or Economics;
• Familiarity with the WBG’s development initiatives, policies and practices related to lending and non-lending operations;
• Ability and skills to provide inputs to key project documents and ability to serve as a team member making contributions and taking responsibility for operational tasks assigned;
• Demonstrably strong analytical skills, integrative thinking and ability to support project teams in developing an integrated point of view around country-specific agriculture development challenges;
• Demonstrating a strong client focus and capacity for solution-oriented dialogue;
• Strong communication skills, and ability to interact with the Client’s senior-level decision-makers as well as project technical staff and build relationships;
• Understanding of agriculture policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations and experience in and ability to support findings/policy recommendations with relevant technical evidence;
• Strong understanding of, and experience with, the institutional and political context in Ukraine and exposure to agriculture policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations;
• Knowledge of the EU Common Agricultural Policy and the EU Green Deal is desired;
• Ability to work easily and well across sectors – both within Sustainable Development (e.g., water, social, environment) and across other Global Practices (e.g., financial sector or social);
• Spoken and written English, Russian, and Ukrainian skills are required;
• Team player and leader able to function in a fast-paced, multi-sectoral and multi-cultural environment;
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently in Ukraine and the ECA region.