Senior Climate Finance Specialist
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Energy Division (SEEN) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. SEEN deals with policy development, oversight of strategy implementation, knowledge management, budget management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work and most loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the energy sector.
The Senior Climate Finance Specialist (Energy Transition Mechanism) will contribute to SEEN and SERD’s ongoing and scaled-up initiatives to further mainstream climate change considerations in ADB operations, in particular on the Energy Transition Mechanism (ETM). ETM is seen to play a critical role in accelerating investments in clean energy (climate finance), especially by the private sector. S/he will lead the discussion with the ETM feasibility study team and core partners on country fund structuring including the Southeast Asia regional partnership platform, the carbon reduction fund and the clean energy fund. This will include the structuring and linkages between various elements of the ETM and the specific roles of respective stakeholders. Upon establishment of the pilot funds this staff will be the main ADB focal for monitoring fund performance, be involved in fund governance, and collect lessons to reflect in the design of the scale up phase.
S/he will also represent SEEN and SERD in various climate related meetings and conferences, building on their strong knowledge on the subject matter. The incumbent will report to Director, SEEN and may supervise national and administrative staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Energy/Environmental Policy, Civil Engineering, Environmental Economics or other related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience including international work experience is required.
• Solid understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation issues within the development context is required, including a good understanding of the challenges and issues that need to be overcome by ADB’s DMCs to effectively transition to clean energy and of the concept of a just and affordable transition.
• Proven experience in structuring and/or establishing and/or managing climate funds (preferably including private sector equity/investment funds) is preferred.
• Knowledge and experience in working with multilateral or bilateral development agencies in the Asia-Pacific region, in relation to climate change and energy sector operations, preferably with focus on Southeast Asia.
• Experience working with both private and public sector partners is preferred.
• Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills to articulate and represent ADB’s activities and directions in meetings, conferences and workshops, dynamically participate in networks, and interact effectively with ADB management, staff, and counterparts in other institutions are required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.