Overview of LDN Targets
LDN at the national scale:
• LDN is achieved by 2030 as compared to 2015 and an additional 10% of the national territory by 2030 (net gain).
LDN at the sub-national scale:
• LDN is achieved in the land degradation hotspots: Kafr El Sheikh Governorate, Demiata Gov., Rasheed area, El Minia Gov., Sohag Gov., Al Fayoum, Mersa Matrouh Gov. (Fuka – El Sallum), El Khattara area, El Tina Plain area, El Farafra oasis and North Sinai in Egypt by 2030 as compared to 2015 and an additional 10% of the degraded hotspot areas has improved (net gain).
Specific targets to avoid, minimize and reverse land degradation:
• Improve productivity and carbon stocks of 3,342 km2 (802,080 feddan) of cultivated areas by 2030.
• Restore and increase the productivity of 11,666 km2 (2,800,000 feddan) of cropland using modern agricultural techniques and SLM practices in the northern areas, western and eastern fringes of reclaimed lands of Nile Delta and El Tina Plain area by 2030.
• Rehabilitate and increase the productivity of 8,000 km2 (1,920,000 feddan) of rangeland and rainfed areas using SLM practices in the north coastal areas (rangelands and rain-fed farming areas) by 2030.
• Rehabilitate and increase the productivity of 7,500 km2 (1,800,000 feddan) of cropland using SLM practices in the reclaimed areas in western desert fringes of middle and upper Egypt Governorates by 2030.
• Reclamation and cultivation of 6,300 km2 (1.5 million feddan) of virgin land in reclaimed desert soils at different locations in the western desert of Egypt by 2030.
• Gain in land productivity and SOC stocks in about 8,333 km2 of cropland in reclaimed desert lands at different location (cultivated areas) by 2030 as compared to 2015.
• Halt the conversion of cropland to other land cover classes by 2030.
• Increase by 25% forest cover / tree cover through agroforestry and SLM in existing forests by 2030 as compared to 2015.
• Halt the occurrence of soil erosion by rain water, creating dams for water harvesting to be utilized for agricultural purposes for an area of 2,500 km2in dry valleys of elevated areas of the inland Sinai and Eastern Desert by 2030.
Rationalize water consumption by growing crops of low water requirements and adopting modern irrigation systems for around 1,000 km2 in some oases in the western desert of Egypt by 2030.