Overview of LDN Targets
The Lesotho target is to achieve LDN by 2030 as compared to the 2015 baseline and an improvement of 5% of the land. The improvement is expected mainly in the Lowlands and Foothills of Lesotho where majority of the land is used for cropping. The target is to also improve Soil Organic Carbon in all land classes.
Specific targets to avoid, minimize and reverse land degradation:
• Improve productivity and SOC stocks to 1% in all land classes by 2030 as compared to 2015;
• Rehabilitate 600,000 hectares of degraded land to functionality by 2030;
• Convert 135,600 ha of bush land back to rangeland by 2030 as compared to 2015;
• Halt the conversion of forests and wetlands to other land cover classes by 2022;
• Increase forest cover by 61,325 ha by 2030 as compared to 2015;
• Reduce the rate of soil erosion and sealing (conversion to artificial land cover) by 20% by 2030 as compared to 2015.