Overview of LDN Targets
• Halt further agricultural land conversion by 2030;
• Maintain and expand agriculture land in Mauritius island from 61,040 ha to 71,182 ha including the rehabilitation of 10,142 hectares of abandoned sugar cane land into Agroforestry, crop production using bio-farming and smart agricultural practices by 2030;
• Maintain and expand forest cover in Mauritius island to 52,290 ha including restoration of mountain and river reserves and expansion of 4530 hectares forests into protected areas in private forest land by 2030;
• Minimise impervious layers from Ride to reef, limit maximum building plot coverage to 40% in rural inland areas and 20% coastal areas, encourage vertical building extension and contain sprawl of urban (artificial) areas within 44,283 ha in Mauritius island by 2030;
• Maintain and restore 403 ha of Wetlands and mangroves areas by ecosystem based adaptations;
• Maintain and restore 187 ha of coastal sand area from coastal erosion and sea level rise by ecosystem based adaptation.
• Increase forest cover in Rodrigues Island to 3,950 ha by 2030;
• Restore 1,379 ha of degraded pasture land in Rodrigues Island by 2030;
• Minimise impervious layers from ridge to reefs by; limiting building plot coverage 20% coastal areas to 40% on inland (ridge) areas, and encourage vertical building extension and contain sprawl of urban artificial areas within 678 ha in Rodrigues island by 2030;
• Maintain and restore 53.4 ha of Wetlands and mangroves areas using ecosystem based adaptation;
• Maintain and restore 90 ha of coastal sand area from coastal erosion and sea level rise using ecosystem based adaptation.