Overview of LDN Targets
• Target 1: By 2030, promote reforestation through agro-forestry and sustainable land management practices, and the implementation of alternative livelihood schemes to restore 175 sq. km originally forested land in 2000 that has changed or lost its forest cover by 2010.
• Target 2: By 2035, ensure the rehabilitation of 12,237 sq.km of land area suggested as having declined, shown early signs of decline, or stable but stressed conditions in net productivity between 2000 and 2010. This includes 353 sq.km of total land area having declined in land productivity, 2,161 sq. km showing early signs of decline, and 9,723 Sq. Km showing stable but stressed conditions between 2000 and 2010.
• Target 3: By the year 2030, improve the productivity of 1,864 sq.km of land area covered by shrubs, grasslands and sparse vegetation through controlled grazing, avoiding overgrazing, and adopting wild bush fire management practices.
• Target 4: By 2030, ensure to improve the productivity of 8,464 sq.km. of croplands through sustainable land management practices, agro-forestry, and the establishment of green corridors, especially in large scale commercial farms.
• Target 5: By 2035, implement wetlands conservation measures in order to improve 330 sq. km of wetlands showing decline, early signs of decline or stable but stressed conditions in net land productivity dynamics.
• Target 6: By 2023, implement land reclamation and land rehabilitation programmes in the dredged mined-out areas degraded by Sierra Rutile Mining Company.