2017 Global platform for disaster risk reduction: Proceedings
This document summarises the proceedings of The Fifth Session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, which took place from 24 to 26 May 2017 in Cancún, Mexico, including the Chair's Summary and records of discussions conducted throughout the conference.
The 2017 Global Platform was the first to take place after the adoption of the Sendai Framework. It was an opportunity for countries, international organizations and other stakeholders to assess implementation, identify measures to drive action further, share lessons, forge partnerships and strengthen cooperation, as well as to fundamentally restate the value of the Sendai Framework as an effective guiding instrument and the commitment to its implementation.
The Leaders’ Forum, ministerial roundtables, plenary sessions, special sessions, working sessions and special events generated substantive exchanges on key issues and concrete guidance for further action, clustered as follows according to the Sendai Framework’s four priorities for action:
- Priority 1: Understanding disaster risk
- Priority 2: Strengthening disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk
- Priority 3: Investing in disaster risk reduction for resilience
- Priority 4: Enhancing disaster preparedness for effective response and to “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction
The deliberations across sessions identified the following additional priorities:
- Monitoring implementation of the Sendai Framework;
- Achieving target E - Substantially increase the number of countries with national and local disaster risk reduction strategies by 2020;
- Coherence with the sustainable development and climate change agendas;
- Gender-sensitive and inclusive disaster risk reduction; and
- International cooperation initiatives, such as private-private cooperation and building a coalition of countries for critical infrastructure.
The 6th session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) will take place in Geneva, Switzerland from 13 to 17 May, 2019