Change and Adaptation in Socio-Ecological Systems. Climate Change, Social Changes, Technological Development
The interrelations of human beings with ecosystems experience rising importance in sustainable land use planning and lead to the concept of socio-ecological system. Socio-Ecological Systems (SES) include both, a bio-geo-physical component and the related local to regional actors. Their system boundaries depend on the problem context and can be either determined by environmental parameters or socio-cultural factors. SES experience constant change and adaptation processes related to utilization, management, policy, ecological, and external influences.
The scope of CASES is to publish original papers, review and synthesis papers, and short communications, and research letters addressing an interdisciplinary point of view on change and adaptation of socio-ecological systems from management unit level to policy level. Thematically, CASES aims to address all studies that have a focus on the impact of global change and climate change, on functioning or services of socio-ecological systems and related human-environment interactions, on understanding, monitoring and proposing innovative approaches, tools and technologies to adapt and bring forward system management and development.
The range of topics includes studies related to agriculture, forestry, and their interactions, water management, urban systems and rural-urban interface. Focus is laid on highly integrative studies, but also welcome contributions enhancing innovative aspects within one of these areas as long as they address one or more of the following cross-cutting issues: (a) management of the ecological integrity and ecosystem functioning on local, regional to supra-regional scale, (b) adaptive system management under external pressures such as climate or societal changes, land-use change, and urbanization processes / development of megacities, (c) socio-economic and political issues such as regional economy, change management, management support, (d) provision of functions, goods and services, sustainable processing of natural resources and regional value clusters, and (e) innovative models and technologies in socio-ecological system development planning support, stakeholder involvement and participatory processes.
Most Downloaded Articles
- Using the Concepts of Resilience, Vulnerability and Adaptability for the Assessment and Analysis of Agricultural Systems by Callo-Concha, Daniel and Ewert, Frank
- Shades of Greening: Reviewing the Impact of the new EU Agricultural Policy on Ecosystem Services by Hauck, Jennifer / Schleyer, Christian / Winkler, Klara J. and Maes, Joachim
- Scoping Adaptation Needs for Smallholders in the Brazilian Amazon: A Municipal Level Case Study by Osuna, Vanesa Rodríguez/ Börner, Jan and Cunha, Marcelo
- Ecosystem services for connecting actors – lessons from a symposium by Opdam, Paul / Albert, Christian / Fürst, Christine / Grêt-Regamey, Adrienne / Kleemann, Janina / Parker, Dawn / La Rosa, Daniele/ Schmidt, Katja / Villamor, Grace B. and Walz, Ariane
- Social norms and cultural services - community belief system and use of wildlife products in the Northern periphery of the Korup National Park, South-West Cameroon by Ngoufo, R/ Yongyeh, NK/ Obioha, EE/ Bobo, KS/ Jimoh, SO and Waltert, M
- A systematic approach to assess human wellbeing demonstrated for impacts of climate change by Lissner, Tabea K./ Reusser, Dominik E./ Lakes, Tobia and Kropp, Jürgen P.
- A participatory framework to assess multifunctional land-use systems with multicriteria and multivariate analyses: A case study on agrobiodiversity of agroforestry systems in Tomé Açú, Brazil by Callo-Concha, Daniel and Denich, Manfred
- Inaugural editorial by Fürst, Christine / Berry, Peter / Geneletti, Davide / Khamzina, Asia and Sanfo, Safiétou
- Heat Alert and Response Systems in Urban and Rural Communities in Canada by Berry, Peter/ Yusa, Anna / Morris-Oswald, Toni and Rogaeva, Anastasia
- The Roles of Customary Institutions in Adaptation and Coping to Climate Change and Variability among the Issa, Ittu and Afar Pastoralists of eastern Ethiopia by Tadesse, Bamlaku / Beyene, Fekadu / Kassa, Workneh and Wentzell, Richard
- Ecosystem Services in the Water-Energy-Food Nexus by Bekchanov, Maksud/ Ringler, Claudia and Mueller, Marc
- Ecosystem Services – Examples of Their Valuation Methods in Czech Republic and Slovakia by Sarvašová, Zuzana/ Kovalčík, Miroslav / Dobšinská, Zuzana/ Šálka, Jaroslav and Jarský, Vilém
- Climate change and socio-ecological transformation in high mountains: an empirical study of Garhwal Himalaya by Sati, Vishwambhar Prasad
- Climate Change and Rural Out-migration in Himalaya by Tiwari, Prakash C. and Joshi, Bhagwati
- Tools for tackling the water-energy-food nexus by Byers, Edward A.
- Water appropriation and ecosystem stewardship in the Baja desert by de las Heras, Alejandro/ Rodriguez, Mario A. and Islas-Espinoza, Marina
- Connecting cities and their environments: Harnessing the water-energy-food nexus for sustainable urban development by Chan, Arthur
- Socio-ecological Vulnerability of Smallholders due to Climate Change in Mountains: Agroforestry as an Adaptation Measure by Pandey, Rajiv/ Meena, Dhanraj/ Aretano, Roberta/ Satpathy, Sachidananda/ Semeraro, Teodoro/ Kumar Gupta, Ajay/ Rawat, Sushma and Zurlini, Giovanni
- Ecosystem services for meeting sustainable development goals: Challenges and pathways by Huq, Nazmul