New Massive Open Online Course (MOOC): Land Matters! Integrating Soil Degradation Concerns and Solutions into Policy Processes
Land degradation affects us all directly or indirectly: food insecurity, pests, reduced availability of clean water, increased vulnerability to climate change, biodiversity loss, and much more. However, policy often fails to acknowledge this problem, or is incapable to identify solutions.
That’s why we offer this MOOC, running from August 27th through October 15th, 2018 to help understand how to influence policy making to foster sustainable soil protection and rehabilitation.
The global programme “Soil protection and rehabilitation for food security“, implemented by GIZ for the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), is launching the free MOOC “Land Matters!” in cooperation with the University of Leeds – School of Earth and Environment and the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT).
Theoretical and methodological input by experts will help you to clarify specific policy objectives, the preferred modes of communication of your target group, and to identify the most suitable engagement techniques or activities.
You will have the opportunity to exchange views and experiences with experts and participants and work on the topic in an international network of practitioners, scientists and policy makers. You are also encouraged to reflect on the possible application of the acquired knowledge in your own case, by developing your own case specific policy brief and feeding your conclusions back into the MOOC forum.
Specific benefits of the MOOC will be:
- Learning through inputs, sharing of experiences, exercises and case studies.
- Strengthening of existing networks, creation of new networks, and potential for further joint work or knowledge exchange.
- Visibility of the topic and experiences through broad communication of the MOOC.
- Access to a collection of material and background documents on the topic, including examples and case studies that could be further explored.
- Support in the development of case/country specific material (e.g. policy briefs).
The registration for the course is open and promotion has started.
Please find attached the course flyer in English and in French containing all important information and links, as well as a social media kit.Feel free to spread the word by using and sharing these documents within your networks.